Android or iOS?

Keranov

Feb 7, 2019
Do you prefer to purchase a smartphone with Android or to get an iPhone with iOS? If you have tried both, which one do you prefer to use?

I will always go for an Android phone. There are pretty good reasons in my opinion. Mainly because those phones give you much more value for your money and you don't have to suffer the performance nerf whenever a new iPhone come out.

apathy

Feb 9, 2021
I use Android and don't really see myself switching to iPhone any time soon. I like that Android is fairly easy to mess around with but iPhone tries to get in your way in that regard, so it's not really for me.

Shortie

Nov 4, 2023
When it comes to Android or iPhone I have to go with Android as my preferred. At the moment I am using an iPhone so have to make do with that at the moment since I dropped my phone and cracked the screen which was an Android phone.

My next phone will be Android though.

Grungie

Dec 6, 2023
I prefer iOS. I'm not much of a power user when it comes to phones, so I'm a set it and forget it kind of guy.

It's worked perfectly fine for me over the decade, so it's like, why change?

Spartan

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 8, 2014
USA
I’ll probably stick with iPhone for quite a while.
I don’t use my phone for anything really besides some games, social media, streaming, and music, and Apples family plan subscription gives me access to a lot of content and is fast and easy to use.

Sep 15, 2023
I find them to be pretty similar at this point with little advantage to go either route. iOS does seem to offer better stability and efficiency, but is locked to the Apple ecosystem for a lot of those perks.

However I stock with Android as I don't have any use case to justify spending $1000+ on my phone and that basically means buying used for iPhones to meet a more reasonable $500 goal that I normally sit around.

Spartan

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 8, 2014
USA
I find them to be pretty similar at this point with little advantage to go either route. iOS does seem to offer better stability and efficiency, but is locked to the Apple ecosystem for a lot of those perks.

However I stock with Android as I don't have any use case to justify spending $1000+ on my phone and that basically means buying used for iPhones to meet a more reasonable $500 goal that I normally sit around.
Yeah apple being locked to its own ecosystem is a blessing and a curse.

And yeah the hefty price tag has always been my biggest issue, but I normally just pay it off monthly on my bill, it’s paid off in two years and I can’t justify upgrade before that really. My mom ends up using my old phones for another couple years

Grungie

Dec 6, 2023

Tbh, if you get the standard iPhone and not the pro's, they're not $1000. $800 still isn't cheap, and it's not those flagship Android phones are much cheaper. I see people talk about iPhones being for rich people, but are using a Galaxy S23, or 23+, and those are the same prices as an iphone. Both parties usually get them on a plan anyway. So instead of full out paying for the phone, they just pay for the phone in payments that's added to their cell service. Most people walking around with those phones didn't just drop $800-1000 on their phones. They're all on payment plans like their cars and houses.

Sep 15, 2023
Tbh, if you get the standard iPhone and not the pro's, they're not $1000. $800 still isn't cheap, and it's not those flagship Android phones are much cheaper. I see people talk about iPhones being for rich people, but are using a Galaxy S23, or 23+, and those are the same prices as an iphone. Both parties usually get them on a plan anyway. So instead of full out paying for the phone, they just pay for the phone in payments that's added to their cell service. Most people walking around with those phones didn't just drop $800-1000 on their phones. They're all on payment plans like their cars and houses.
That is true, but essentially taking a loan out for a phone still seems crazy for me. Especially since all of my daily phone usage can be done on a sub $500 phone. Granted price is relative to the buyer, but one major factor that I always hold to is that I would never carry around $1000 on my person at anytime, so I'm not going to turn that cash into an item to carry. It's not really flagship Android vs iPhone for me as both of those are far too much for my usage. I don't have any issues with people that buy flagship phones, but just like most things in life, I'm pretty fine without the luxury model and sadly Apple doesn't really offer a non-luxury phone imo.

Grungie

Dec 6, 2023
That is true, but essentially taking a loan out for a phone still seems crazy for me. Especially since all of my daily phone usage can be done on a sub $500 phone. Granted price is relative to the buyer, but one major factor that I always hold to is that I would never carry around $1000 on my person at anytime, so I'm not going to turn that cash into an item to carry. It's not really flagship Android vs iPhone for me as both of those are far too much for my usage. I don't have any issues with people that buy flagship phones, but just like most things in life, I'm pretty fine without the luxury model and sadly Apple doesn't really offer a non-luxury phone imo.
I find it annoying when I see Android fans just parrot the $1000 on repeat. Are these guys willingly ignoring how most people get a phone these days? Some are paying $10 on top of their phone service, and if you’re okay with one model previous, it’s $0 additional to your monthly bill. So they basically give it away for free.

I have AT&T, and when it’s time for an upgrade, their webpage goes “here’s a list of phones you can upgrade to and their corresponding monthly prices”. It has both iOS and Android. So I’d just be straight up ignoring the prices at this point.

So the $1000 thing just gets obnoxious after awhile. The phone itself isn’t $1000, and the carrier basically gave it away for free through a non-obscure mean. A lot of Android enthusiasts have phones that retail for the same, or more.

The $1000 and “locked ecosystem” are the two most telephoned complaints.

Spartan

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 8, 2014
USA
I’ve always my phone on the monthly payments, it doesn’t add up to much more then paying cash and they just put it on the bill so for me I’m just used to having a higher phone bill.
I think they should bring back iPhone c model it was a cheaper entry into iPhones iirc

Grungie

Dec 6, 2023
I’ve always my phone on the monthly payments, it doesn’t add up to much more then paying cash and they just put it on the bill so for me I’m just used to having a higher phone bill.
I think they should bring back iPhone c model it was a cheaper entry into iPhones iirc
They replaced the C with the SE model for awhile.

Also if you don’t want the newest model, you can also get one for free through renewing your contract. You can also save even more money via trade-ins.

Spartan

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 8, 2014
USA
They replaced the C with the SE model for awhile.

Also if you don’t want the newest model, you can also get one for free through renewing your contract. You can also save even more money via trade-ins.
Yeah the I’ve only gotten the newest model once because I had broke my screen and back after I took my case off, but the old one was still plenty fast and had much life.
Oh Yeah I forgot about the SE. And I agree trade ins are nice, but sometimes you can get more off of marketplace if it’s only one or two models older.

Grungie

Dec 6, 2023
Yeah the I’ve only gotten the newest model once because I had broke my screen and back after I took my case off, but the old one was still plenty fast and had much life.
Oh Yeah I forgot about the SE. And I agree trade ins are nice, but sometimes you can get more off of marketplace if it’s only one or two models older.
Well most average Joes just settle for the trade in, as it gives them a direct discount on the next model without any hassle.

Since all of the same wheels and deals are the same with Android phones, it’s silly when Android users treat it like none of these exist for iPhones.

Hulk

Jan 21, 2024
I've always preferred Android. I've tried Apple but didn't like it very much.